Something to say

Have your Say. Shape your World. Get Involved. Grasp your Chance.

Subscribe to the b_line newsletter for all the latest news and exclusive discounts!

Children's Independent Advocacy Service

Children and young people have children's rights. Independent advocates make sure you are treated fairly, understand what rights you have and that you have the information you need to make a decision or a choice.

They will not tell you what decision to make, but help you to think about what might happen next, depending on you what you choose.

What advocacy is

Advocacy is about helping you to speak out about what is important to you. You have the right to have your say and be listened to when decisions are being made about you.

How an advocate can help

If you're a child or young person who is in care, leaving care or needs our support you can ask an advocate for help. You can contact an advocate for lots of different reasons. For example, about:

  • seeing your family
  • where you live
  • feeling safe
  • education.

What the advocate can do

  • Give you information and advice so you understand your rights.
  • Speak to those who are making decisions about you (like social workers), to help make sure that you are involved in any plans being made about you.
  • Make sure you understand what people are saying.
  • Help you to make a complaint.

What we'll promise


Our advocates are independent and here just for you. They do not work for your social worker or the place where you live.


We'll not tell other people anything you have said without your permission, unless we are worried about your safety or the safety of another person.

How to ask for an independent advocate

Ask for help from an advocate yourself

Tel: 01629 532029


Write to:

Participation Team
Room 280 North Block 
County Hall

Ask an adult to request an advocate for you

An adult cannot ask for an advocate to help you without you agreeing to this. You have a right to say no if you don't want the help.